Jan. 6 panel seeks sit down with Jim Jordan

Source: The Hill | December 22, 2021 | Rebecca Beitsch

The House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol is asking Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), an ardent supporter of former President Trump, to voluntarily sit down with its investigators.

In a Wednesday letter to Jordan, the committee contends that he was in regular communication with Trump leading up to the election and thereafter.

“We understand that you had at least one and possibly multiple communications with President Trump on Jan. 6. We would like to discuss each such communication with you in detail. And we also wish to inquire about any communications you had on January 5th or 6th with those in the Willard War Room, the Trump legal team, White House personnel or others involved in organizing or planning the actions and strategies for January 6th,” Chair Bennie Thompson wrote in the letter, referring to the Willard Hotel where the Trump team organized its efforts. 

“Public reporting suggests that you may also have information about meetings with White House officials and the then-President in November and December 2020, and early-January 2021, about strategies for overturning the results of the 2020 election. We would also like to ask you about any discussions involving the possibility of presidential pardons for individuals involved in any aspect of Jan. 6 or the planning for Jan. 6.”

……..

On Monday, the committee asked for similar cooperation from incoming Freedom Caucus chair Rep. Scott Perry (R-Penn.) who has already rebuffed the committee and said he will decline to appear.

The letter seeks to immediately combat any such behavior from Jordan, even offering to arrange an interview with Jordan in his district.

“When you were asked during a Rules Committee hearing on October 20, 2021, whether you would be willing to share with the Select Committee the information you have regarding Jan. 6 and the events leading up to that day, you responded, ‘I’ve said all along, I have nothing to hide. I’ve been straightforward all along,’” Thompson wrote.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.