Jerry Falwell Jr.: 'You don't choose a president based on how good they are'

Source: The Hill | January 1, 2019 | Morgan Gstalter

Evangelical leader Jerry Falwell Jr., said voters don’t choose a president based on a candidate’s morals, saying that leaders should be elected based on policies.

In an interview with The Washington Post published Tuesday, the Liberty University president was pressed about his support for President Trump and asked whether it was “hypocritical” for evangelical leaders to support “a leader who has advocated violence and who has committed adultery and lies often?” 

“When Jesus said we’re all sinners, he really meant all of us, everybody. I don’t think you can choose a president based on their personal behavior,” Falwell said.

“Because even if you choose the one that you think is the most decent — let’s say you decide Mitt Romney. Nobody could be a more decent human being, better family man. But there might be things that he’s done that we just don’t know about,” Falwell continued. “So you don’t choose a president based on how good they are; you choose a president based on what their policies are. That’s why I don’t think it’s hypocritical.”

Falwell has been a vocal supporter of the president since the campaign trail, inviting Trump to speak at Liberty’s 2017 commencement ceremony.

He told the Post that there is nothing Trump could do that would endanger his support.

“Only because I know that he only wants what’s best for this country, and I know anything he does, it may not be ideologically ‘conservative,’ but it’s going to be what’s best for this country, and I can’t imagine him doing anything that’s not good for the country,” Falwell explained.

………

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #27095

ConservativeGranny #27096

“Only because I know that he only wants what’s best for this country, and I know anything he does, it may not be ideologically ‘conservative,’ but it’s going to be what’s best for this country, and I can’t imagine him doing anything that’s not good for the country,”

And he knows this because Trump is a good moral man who would never lie to anyone?

EVERYDAY #27099

Maybe you don’t care about morality and character, Jerry, but I do.

I wonder just what Trump gave or promised to these religious leaders to make them blindly worship Trump instead of God. Either these religious leaders gave up their scruples or they didn’t have any to begin with.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.