Joe Walsh announces Republican challenge to Trump

Source: The Hill | August 25, 2019 | Regina Zilbermints

Former Rep. Joe Walsh (R-Ill.) on Sunday announced he would mount a primary challenge to President Trump.

The conservative radio host unveiled his campaign on ABC’s “This Week.”

“We’ve got a guy in the White House who is unfit, completely unfit to be president, and it stuns me that nobody stepped up, nobody in the Republican Party stepped up, because I’ll tell you what, George, everybody believes in the Republican party, everybody believes that he’s unfit,” Walsh told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos. “He lies every time he opens his mouth.”

Walsh was elected to the House in 2010 as part of the Tea Party wave and served one term. He began as a strong supporter of President Trump but over the past year has emerged as a fierce critic of the president. On Sunday, he apologized for tweets Stephanopoulos described as racist and sexist as well as his “personal” criticism of former President Obama, acknowledging the role it played in creating today’s politics.

“I helped create Trump. There’s not doubt about that. The personal, ugly politics,” he said. “I regret that. And I’m sorry for that. And now we’ve got a guy in the White House, that’s all he does.”

When asked about Trump’s high approval rating among Republicans, Walsh said GOP voters had no alternative, adding that many of his former colleagues in the House feel the same way.

“I’m running because he’s unfit. Somebody needs to step up, and there needs to be an alternative,” Walsh said. “The country is sick of this guy’s tantrum. He’s a child. Again, the litany. He lies every time he opens his mouth. Look at what’s happened this week. The president of the United States is tweeting us into a recession.”

After being asked about invoking the 25th Amendment to remove Trump from office, he added, “We’ve never had a situation like this. … You can’t believe a word he says. He’s nuts. He’s erratic. He’s cruel. He stokes bigotry. He’s incompetent. He doesn’t know what he’s doing. George, he’s a narcissist. The only thing he cares about is Trump.”

…….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #31399

Consistent #31400

EVERYDAY #31405

I do wish Mr. Walsh all the luck in the world. He’s going to need it.

Consistent #31407

Consistent #31415

EVERYDAY #31419

Trump fans have already dug up a story that said Mr. Walsh is or was a “deadbeat dad” for allegedly not paying child support to his first wife. The problem with these “deadbeat dads” stories is they are usually one-sided in favor of the mother. The father’s side is generally buried somewhere.

I am a retired legal secretary. Some of my bosses represented clients in domestic relations disputes (divorce, child custody, child support and such). Many women use their children as part of an extortion racket against their estranged or former husbands. Time was, all a woman had to do is cry to a judge and the judge would award her whatever she demanded. The children’s father had no say in the matter. That has lessened a bit nowadays, but it still goes on. Some courts now try to force the parties into mediation or arbitration in order to work out a settlement. Don’t know if that was done in Walsh’s case.

Anyway, the knives are coming out and Walsh should be prepared for all sorts of phony stories and baseless accusations. As for the “deadbeat dad” story, I will wait till I hear Walsh’s side, if he chooses to talk about it.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by EVERYDAY.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.