Joe Walsh expected to announce presidential run: report

Source: The Hill | August 21, 2019 | John Bowden

Former Rep. Joe Walsh (R-Ill.) is reportedly expected to announce his candidacy for president, becoming the second prominent Republican to challenge President Trump for the party’s nomination.

The New York Times reported Wednesday that Walsh, now a radio host, will announce his candidacy as early as the weekend. Walsh argued in an op-ed for the newspaper last week that the president needed a primary challenge from the right and told the Times in an interview that he would announce his intentions before Labor Day.

Walsh would join former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld (R), who announced his candidacy earlier this year, as the second Republican challenger to mount the long-shot challenge against Trump, whose approval rating among Republicans has hovered above 50 percent since he took office in 2017.

The former congressman supported Trump during the 2016 election but has hammered the president for his conduct in the years that followed. Earlier this year, he sharply criticized Trump over behavior outlined in Robert Mueller’s report that detailed the results of the special counsel investigation into the Trump campaign.

“I don’t know how anybody can read this report and think, ‘This is behavior that we want in our president,'” he told CNN’s Brooke Baldwin at the time.

“Criminal behavior, who knows?” he added. “But, boy, dishonest, immoral, unethical? Heck yes it is. And I’ll tell you, Brooke, every Republican on Capitol Hill agrees with what I just said. They can’t say that publicly.”

………

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #31349

EVERYDAY #31352

Well, when Walsh said someone should challenge Trump, I said maybe he should. Perhaps now Walsh is manning up.

I sure hope before he decides, Walsh considers whether he is tough enough to withstand the beating Trump’s campaign will surely inflict upon him. Walsh had better not have anything even remotely resembling dirt in his personal or professional past, for if he does, Trump.will surely use it against him. Even if Walsh is squeaky clean, Trimp and his machine will invent something. Trump plays dirty and Walsh should be prepared for that if he runs.

I don’t really know Waksh, so I will have to look at him more closely if he runs. But if he does run, I wish him well.

Consistent #31356

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.