John Bolton to replace H.R. McMaster as national security adviser

Source: Washington Examiner | March 22, 2018 | Naomi Lim

National security adviser H.R. McMaster is being replaced by former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton, President Trump announced via Twitter Thursday.

“I am pleased to announce that, effective 4/9/18, @AmbJohnBolton will be my new National Security Advisor,” the president wrote.

“I am very thankful for the service of General H.R. McMaster who has done an outstanding job & will always remain my friend. There will be an official contact handover on 4/9,” he added.

McMaster, an Army lieutenant general, wrote in a statement that his departure from the Trump administration would coincide with his retirement from the military.

“After thirty-four years of service to our nation, I am requesting retirement from the U.S. Army effective this summer after which I will leave public service,” McMaster said. “Throughout my career it has been my greatest privilege to serve alongside extraordinary servicemembers and dedicated civilians.”

A White House spokesperson said the timing of McMaster’s exit had been discussed by the pair for some time, and was unrelated to the recent leak of briefing materials for Trump’s phone call with Russian President Vladimir Putin after the Russian leader won re-election.

But the timeline for McMaster’s transition was truncated to avoid further speculation in the lead-up to Trump’s meeting with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un, the official continued.

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.