Judge dismisses Gohmert's election suit against Pence

Source: The Hill | January 1, 2021 | John Kruzel

A federal judge on Friday dismissed a bid by Rep. Louie Gohmert (Texas) and other Republicans that sought to endow Vice President Pence with the legal authority to effectively overturn President-elect Joe Biden’s electoral win.

In his ruling, Texas-based U.S. District Judge Jeremy Kernodle, a Trump appointee, said the GOP plaintiffs lacked standing. The judge found that Gohmert suffered no legally recognizable injury.

The other plaintiffs, a group of Arizona Republicans who self-identify as an alternate “slate” of pro-Trump electors, could not link their supposed injury to Pence, he reasoned.

“Because neither Congressman Gohmert nor the nominee-electors have standing here, the court is without subject matter jurisdiction to address” their lawsuit, Kernodle wrote in his ruling. “The court therefore dismisses the case without prejudice.”

In an appearance on conservative media outlet Newsmax Friday evening, Gohmert said that his legal team is planning to appeal the decision to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, condemning the district court’s ruling that he lacks a legal right to sue in the case.

“I believe in using the court system for the same reason they were created … to resolve disputes,” Gohmert said.

“I still believe in that system,” he said, adding that he hoped once lawmakers were presented with evidence on allegations of voter fraud, “people will come to the right conclusion.”

“If not, it will mean the end of our republic,” he asserted.

……..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #45819

EVERYDAY #45823

So another Trump judge ruled against him (yes, I know Trump was not a plaintiff in this suit, but he’s behind all of these suits whether he’s a party or not). It’s interesting that so many Trump judicial appointees plus his 3 nominees to SCOTUS, do not want to be involved in this sedition.

Gohmert and people like him talk about they’re defending the rule of law and the Constitution. Do they realize that their participation in the sedition violates those laws and the Constitution they clam to uphold?

Consistent #45826

Consistent #45847

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.