Judge rejects Bannon effort to slow walk contempt case

Source: Politico | November 18, 2021 | Josh Gerstein and Kyle Cheney

But the judge said he’s not convinced yet that the Justice Department’s timetable is realistic either.

A struggle over timing broke out Thursday in the new criminal contempt of Congress case against Donald Trump ally Steve Bannon as prosecutors pressed for a quick trial and Bannon’s lawyers seemed to be in no hurry for their client to have his day in court.

U.S. District Court Judge Carl Nichols rejected an attempt by Bannon’s defense to delay further action in the case until after the New Year, but said he’s not convinced yet that the Justice Department’s timetable is realistic either.

“I’m not convinced that I have quite enough before me to decide,” Nichols said as he discussed the schedule for the case at a brief hearing Thursday morning.

……..

But Nichols seemed unimpressed by the Bannon lawyer’s unusual expressions of concern about cases neither he nor his client are directly involved in.

“It does seem to me that I can manage the interplay between this case and the other cases in my docket in a way that will ensure that no one will not have their day in court,” the judge replied curtly.

While Corcoran proposed reconvening next in January to discuss further steps, Nichols said that was too leisurely a pace and set another hearing for Dec. 7.

“I don’t think it’s appropriate to wait, essentially a month-and-a-half or longer,” said the judge, a Trump appointee.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #50803

EVERYDAY #50810

Bannon will do like his buddy Trump. Delay, delay, delay. Anything to obstruct and frustrate.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by EVERYDAY.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.