Jupiter will be at its biggest and brightest next week. Here's how to get a good look.

Source: NBC News | June 7, 2019 | David Freeman

With binoculars or a small telescope, skywatchers may be able to see not just the planet itself but also its biggest moons.

Jupiter will be closer to Earth on Monday than at any other time of the year, offering skywatchers a chance to see the planet at its biggest and brightest.

Jupiter can be seen with the naked eye. But with a pair of binoculars or a small telescope, NASA says it should be possible to see not only Jupiter itself but also its four largest moons — and perhaps even the bands of clouds that encircle the gas giant.

“Go outside a little while after the sun has set, look toward the east, and it will be the brightest thing,” Irene Pease, an amateur astronomer in Brooklyn, New York, and president of the Amateur Astronomers Association of New York, said of Jupiter. “You might think it’s a plane, but it won’t move like a plane or blink like a plane.”

……..

……..

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #29936

EVERYDAY #29937

I would love to see this and will mark my calendar, but I’m going to bet my area will get bad weather that day. Almost invariably, whenever some event like this occurs, it’s too cloudy or it’s storming and I miss it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.