Ketanji Brown Jackson confirmed as first Black woman on Supreme Court

Source: Politico | April 7, 2022 | Burgess Everett and Marianne LeVine

The Thursday vote marks a historic moment for the high court and a massive victory for President Joe Biden.

The Senate confirmed Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court Thursday afternoon, marking a historic moment for the high court and a massive victory for President Joe Biden.

Jackson was approved, 53-47, on Thursday afternoon with the support of three Republicans. The vote makes Jackson the first Black female justice and delivers Democrats their first high-court seat in 12 years.

Vice President Kamala Harris, the first female Black vice president, oversaw the vote in a Senate chamber packed for the occasion. Senators voted from their desks, a decorum befitting the gravity of the confirmation vote of a Supreme Court justice.

……..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #53024

Consistent #53025

EVERYDAY #53027

Honestly — the “historic” adjective is lost on me. I never really cared about Judge Jackson’s race or gender. I just wanted someone qualified to do the job. And she does have the education and experience. Ok, so she will most likely side with the liberal end of the Court. But I don’t know that the so-called conservative side necessarily follows the Constitution either. This Court has made some boneheaded rulings of late. Perhaps this new Justice will bring the Court back to the straight and narrow.

Consistent #53030

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.