Kinzinger: GOP will 'be a minority party forever' if we keep supporting Trump

Source: The Hill | February 23, 2021 | Juliegrace Brufke

Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) is amping up his calls for the party to split with former President Trump, arguing Republicans won’t take back the majority if they continue to embrace his brand.

“I don’t know what that looks like, all I know is I can rest with real peace knowing that I’m going to fight as hard as I can to get a normal functioning Republican Party,” he told CNN’s Chris Cuomo on Monday night.

Kinzinger is a vocal Trump critic who was one of the 10 GOP lawmakers in the House to vote to impeach the former president for inciting a deadly insurrection at the Capitol on Jan. 6, where rioters attempted to stop the certification of Electoral College votes.

He argued Monday that the direction the party will take remains to be seen, but feels that embracing personality over policy is detrimental to its long-term viability.

The Illinois Republican also noted he outperformed Trump by a sizable margin in his district during the past election cycle.

“I mean look, Chris, in my district I got 65 percent of the vote, Donald Trump got 56 percent of the vote. If you think the Donald Trump thing in the long term is going to be the winning coalition and not somebody like me that’s conservative, but doesn’t offend people and doesn’t go out and attack and say that you owe me everything and doesn’t incite insurrections there will be a minority party forever,” he told CNN.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.