Kinzinger knocks Texas abortion law component that allows people to ‘tattle’

Source: The Hill | September 5, 2021 | Caroline Vakil

Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) said on Sunday that while he is personally opposed to abortion, he dislikes a component of a recently enacted Texas law that allows private citizens to “tattle” on each other to enforce the legislation.

“I’m pro-life, but what I don’t like to see is this idea of every citizen being able to tattle, sue an Uber driver, as you said, be deputized to enforce this abortion law to whatever they want,” Kinzinger said on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

“I think, if you’re going to do something on abortion, it’s a debate that we should have that’s open and not just opening people up to be sued for any bit part in that process,” Kinzinger added. 

The Supreme Court last week declined to block a law in Texas that prohibits abortion once a fetal heartbeat has been detected, which can be as early as six weeks after a woman becomes pregnant. It allows private citizens to enforce the law by giving them $10,000 each time they are able to successfully sue someone who has been found guilty of being involved in or helping someone obtain an abortion.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.