Kinzinger: Trump's resignation would be 'best thing for the country to heal'

Source: The Hill | January 10, 2021 | Joseph Choi

Republican Rep. Adam Kinzinger (Ill.) on Sunday said that President Trump’s removal from office would be “the best thing for the country to heal.”

Kinzinger, who last week became the first GOP lawmaker to publicly call for Trump’s removal after the siege of the U.S. Capitol, said on ABC’s “This Week” that he would “vote the right way” if an impeachment article came forward in Congress, but stated it was “probably not the smartest move.”

“I think it would be the right move, if we had more than basically 10 days left of the administration,” Kinzinger told host George Stephanopoulos. “I think there’s a lot of ideas with censure, with preventing him from being able to run again. You know the reality is we just don’t have a lot of time in this administration left, which right now is a good thing.”

……..

Stephanopoulos asked Kinzinger on Sunday why so few of his Republican colleagues have come forward to call for Trump’s impeachment, instead asking Trump to resign.

“I think a lot of it is fear. You know there’s fear that infects so many sides of the debate right now,” responded Kinzinger. 

“But if you’re going to be fearful — just my humble opinion — if you’re going to be fearful in this job, it may not be the right job for you at this moment in time.”

“I think the best thing for the country to heal would be for him to resign. The next best thing is the 25th Amendment. That’s why I call on Vice President Pence to do it,” added Kinzinger. “This is the thing that just gets us out in the debate in Congress, it doesn’t victimize Donald Trump and makes him look as bad as he has been here and its leadership.”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.