Leahy, not Roberts, to preside over impeachment trial

Source: The Hill | January 25, 2021 | Alexander Bolton and Jordain Carney

Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts will not preside over former President Trump’s Senate impeachment trial, which is scheduled to begin in earnest on Feb. 8.

Instead, Senate President Pro Tempore Patrick Leahy (Vt.), the most senior member of the Senate Democratic Conference, will preside over the trial.

Leahy on Monday confirmed he would wield the gavel and promised to administer “impartial justice.”

“The president pro tempore has historically presided over Senate impeachment trials of non-presidents. When presiding over an impeachment trial, the president pro tempore takes an additional special oath to do impartial justice according to the Constitution and its laws. It is an oath that I take extraordinarily seriously,” he said in a statement.

Leahy vowed he would “not waver from my constitutional and sworn obligations to administer the trial with fairness, in accordance with the Constitution and the laws.”

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #46815

EVERYDAY #46819

This is funny. Trumpies complained when Chief Justice Roberts presided over the first impeachment trial, accusing him of being partial and dredging up old conspiracy theories about his adopted children. I’ll bet now the cult wishes Justice Roberts was presiding over this trial.

By the way, that idiot Hawley is wrong. The Chief Justice is required to preside over the impeachment trial of a sitting president, but he does not have to preside over such a trial of a president who is no longer in office.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.