Leon Wolf's thoughts on Trump's decision to divest his business interests

Source: Leon Wolf's Facebook | November 30, 2016 | Leon H. Wolf

A week and a half ago, I wrote a post arguing that Trump should divest his business interests. I said that not doing so would open him to countless attacks from Democrats for both actual and apparent conflicts of interest. I said that not doing so would violate his promise on the campaign trail to work for the interest of the American people and not his own companies. I said that doing so was necessary to establish public trust in Trump’s dedication to the job. You can read that post here:

http://www.theblaze.com/…/commentary-trump-must-liquidate-…/

I was roasted in the comments and on Twitter by Trump supporters who claimed that I was a leftist hack, an idiot, that I didn’t know what I was talking about as well as Trump does. They were led in that by Trump himself, who angrily tweeted that this was a fake controversy generated by the liberal media — a group that somehow includes me.

Well, here we are, ten days later, and Trump has announced that he will indeed divest his business interests, for almost the exact same reasons I set forth in my post. My response to that is: good for Trump. I don’t know if I would call it a “smart” move since it is blindingly obvious, but when you are dealing with Trump, sometimes doing the blindingly obvious thing doesn’t always come into play and I’m encouraged that he seems to at least belatedly realize what a potential problem it is for him to own and control major parcels of real estate, particularly in foreign countries, while attempting to do the job of being President.

What’s interesting is that the exact same people who roasted me as a leftist and an idiot for suggesting that Trump ought to divest his companies are now praising Trump for his amazing foresight and wisdom in divesting his companies. Well, which is it, you idiot lickspittles? If it’s smart for Trump to realize this on November 30th, am I a genius for realizing it on November 21st? Do I or any of the other people who wrote similar things get apologies for being called “cucks,” or Jew-baited (NB – I am not Jewish), or any of the hundreds of other insults you regularly hurl at anyone who questions Trump?

The people who voted for Trump in the Republican primary are, as a group, the most malignant force in American politics. I’m not talking about the people who voted for him in the general, I’m talking about the people who actually voted for him when there were still decent options on the table. And they are like this with EVERY SINGLE THING Trump does. Trump changes his positions more often than most of them change their underwear. He is angrily defiant one minute, then the next day he decides that his critics were right. His supporters cheer both positions equally. Everyone who says anything negative about him is an idiot, and Trump is a genius, even if Trump starts parroting the “idiots” 24 hours later.

It is already old. These people are worse than the most devoted Obama worshipers that they once mocked — because Obama didn’t give his supporters intellectual whiplash EVERY FREAKING DAY like Trump does.

And they do not care. They show no ability to think for themselves about what is right or wrong independent of what Trump says is right or wrong. It’s a problem for the health of the country. Do you see what I did above? Trump did something good, and I said he did something good. IN fact, I’ve often done that. I did it even during the campaign. When he does something bad, I say that. It’s disturbing the number of people who feel compelled to defend everything a given politician does to the death just because he’s wearing the right jersey or whatever.

The last three presidential elections have been decided by willing adherents to cults of personality. Step back from your partisan alignment and your instinctive desire to shout “the other side is guilty of it, too!” and acknowledge the fact that our representative democracy is not in great shape, and we have no one but ourselves to blame.

Note: It is unclear at this point if Trump will actually divest his ownership interest, but my hope is that he does. Handing off control to his children would be a wholly inadequate remedy for reasons that should be equally obvious to the reasons for divesting in the first place.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.