Live highlights: Schiff accuses Trump of 'witness intimidation' for tweet attack on Yovanovitch

Source: Politico | November 15, 2019 | Nahal Toosi, Natasha Bertrand, Caitlin Oprysko and Quint Forgey

In an extraordinary moment during the impeachment hearings, the ousted Ukraine ambassador was asked to respond in real time to a Twitter broadside from President Donald Trump in which he accused her without evidence of causing destruction during her diplomatic tours.

“I actually think that where I’ve served over the years, I and others have demonstrably made things better, you know, for the U.S. as well as for the countries that I’ve served in,” Marie Yovanovitch said when Trump’s tweets were read out loud during Friday’s impeachment hearing.

It was an attack House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff called “witness intimidation.”

Asked what her reaction was when she read the record of Trump’s July 25 call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, Yovanovitch testified that she was “shocked, absolutely shocked, and devastated, frankly.”

“I was shocked and devastated that I would feature in a phone call between two heads of state in such a manner, where President Trump said I was ‘bad news’ to another world leader, and that I would ‘be going through some things.’ It was a terrible moment. A person who saw me reading the transcript said the color drained from my face. Even now, words kind of fail me.”

Yovanovitch repeated what she said in her closed-door deposition about feeling threatened by Trump’s comment that she would be “going through some things.”

“I didn’t know what to think but I was very concerned,” Yovanovitch said. “It didn’t sound good. It sounded like a threat. I did [feel threatened].”

……..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.