Maher: Afghanistan shows ‘woke’ Americans ‘what real oppression looks like’

Source: The Hill | August 28, 2021 | Lexi Lonas

HBO’s Bill Maher went after “woke” Americans who say America is an oppressive country, urging them to look at the situation in Afghanistan, where the Taliban have taken control.

“If you think America is irredeemable, turn on the news. … There’s a reason Afghan mothers are handing their babies to us,” Maher said in his monologue, referring to images of desperate Afghan mothers handing their children to U.S. troops for evacuation at the airport in Kabul.

“We’re not the bad guys,” the liberal comedian remarked on his show. “Oppression is what we were trying to stop in Afghanistan.”

“We failed, but any immigrant will tell you we’ve largely succeeded here, and yet the overriding thrust of current woke ideology is that America is rotten to the core, irredeemably racist from the moment it was founded,” he said.

Maher urged Americans to take in Afghan refugees after thousands of Afghan civilians evacuated the country following the Taliban’s takeover two weeks ago.

……..

“And this is where your new Afghani roommates that you took in will prove so valuable because they’ll turn to you and say, ‘Have you people lost your f—ing minds?’” Maher said.

“‘Have you ever heard of honor killings? Public beheadings? Throwing gay men off of roofs? Arranged marriages to minors? State-sanctioned wife-beating? Female genital mutilation? Marriage by capture? Because we have,’” Maher added.

……..

“What’s the lesson of Afghanistan? Maybe it’s that everyone from the giant dorm room bitch session that is the internet should take a good look at what real oppression looks like,” Maher said.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #50175

Consistent #50198

EVERYDAY #50207

On occasion, Bill Maher is actually right. This is one of those times. Words like “racism” and “oppression” are thrown around so much that they have become meaningless. If a black man came to my house sporting a really hideous tie and I told him I didn’t like it, I’d be called a racist. It’s ridiculous.

Most people in this country are “oppressed” because they haven’t done anything on their own to improve their lot in life. There are plenty of opportunities here — more than in many other countries — but people here would rather whine about their plight than do anything about it.

I’d like to send these whiners to countries like Afghanistan — let them see what oppression, racism, sexism and other isms are really like. One day there and they would be ready to come home.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.