Manafort sentenced to nearly 4 years in prison

Source: The Hill | March 7, 2019 | Lydia Wheeler,Morgan Chalfant and Tal Axelrod

A federal judge on Thursday sentenced former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort to 47 months in prison, well below the amount recommended in sentencing guidelines.

The sentence handed down by Judge T.S. Ellis III was significantly less than the 19 1/2 to 24 years advised in federal guidelines.

Ellis, in remarks from the bench, described Manafort’s financial crimes as “very serious” but said he found the guideline range “not at all appropriate,” and pointed to significantly more-lenient sentences handed down in similar cases.

Manafort, who appeared in court in a wheelchair and wearing a green jumpsuit, will also receive time served, meaning nine months will be knocked off for the time he has already served in jail. As a result, he will be incarcerated for three years and two months.

He was also ordered to pay a $50,000 fine and up to $24 million in restitution.

“You’ve been convicted of serious crimes — very serious crimes — by a jury,” Ellis said to a packed courtroom after a lengthy sentencing hearing in federal court in Alexandria, Va., that lasted nearly three hours.

However, he added, “I think that sentencing range is excessive. I don’t think that is warranted in this case.”

Manafort’s attorneys had asked Ellis to consider a more lenient punishment, citing their client’s age, poor health, low risk of reoffending and assistance in Mueller’s probe. On Thursday, defense attorney Thomas Zehnle pointed to other cases in which defendants received much less prison time for similar crimes.

In remarks shortly before receiving his sentence, Manafort described himself as “humiliated and ashamed” of his behavior and for the pain he had caused his family. He thanked Ellis for a fair trial twice and asked him for compassion.

“My life professionally and financially is in shambles,” Manafort said. “To say that I feel humiliated and ashamed would be a gross understatement,” “I intend to turn my notoriety into a positive.”

However, Manafort did not express remorse for his actions — something Ellis noted before handing down the punishment.

“I was surprised that I did not hear you express regret,” said Ellis, a Reagan appointee. “That doesn’t make any difference on the judgment that I am about to make … but I hope you reflect on that.”

………

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #28270

Consistent #28271

Consistent #28274

EVERYDAY #28276

Wish it were more time, but any prison time for that snake is ok by me

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.