Mark Steyn: She Only Talks That Way To The Cat

Source: Mark Steyn Online | June 11, 2016 | Mark Steyn

….

~What to do when facing another half-decade in a sclerotic and dysfunctional court system? Make a cat video! Every put-upon guy scrunched up at the end of the sofa can relate to this one. Enjoy!

That’s me with Kevin Amos and the band and “She Only Talks That Way To The Cat” from our cat album Feline Groovy.

I’m honored to be joined for the video by Best Actress Tony nominee Marla Schaffel as the missus. Marla is awfully sporting to slum it and act along with an old ham like me. The cat is not my own beloved black cat Marvin, who inspired the album but whom I adjudged insufficiently lazy and corpulent for the role of this particular feline. So I procured Harold, a Quebecker by origin, and brought him south of the border to do the jobs American cats won’t do. Of course, now I’m stuck with him. But June is apparently Adopt-a-Cat Month, so I’m happy to have done my part. But if I have to get a new cat for every track on the album, this place is gonna be hairball heaven.

As for the song, it was written by C W Kalb Jr, and turned up many, many years ago as Side 2 Track 5 on a Ray Stevens album. I always liked the profound truth at the heart of the joke, so we gave it a little bit of a different orchestration and added some backing singers and took a crack at it. Hope you like it. If so, don’t forget this oldie but goodie.

….

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.