Mary Trump issues blistering critique of president as narcissist in new book

Source: The Hill | July 7, 2020 | Morgan Chalfant

Mary Trump paints a disturbing picture of her uncle, President Trump, in a forthcoming book that accuses him of “cruelty and incompetence” and a penchant for lying and cheating that dates back to when he was a young adult.

In her memoir, obtained by The Hill ahead of next week’s publication date, Mary Trump offers a jarring depiction of the Trump family, alleging that the president’s father, Fred Trump, was a “high-functioning sociopath” and that his treatment of his children created an “atmosphere of division” and encouraged what she describes as Donald Trump’s narcissistic, arrogant and grandiose behavior.

The book — “Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man,” set for release by publisher Simon & Schuster on July 14 — is based on Mary Trump’s recollections as well as conversations and interviews she has had with family members, friends, neighbors and other associates, and documents and correspondence.

Mary Trump, a clinical psychologist, says she considered speaking out in 2016 about the ways in which she knew her uncle to be “completely unqualified” for the presidency. She writes that the events of the past three years of the Trump administration “have forced my hand, and I can no longer remain silent.”

“If he is afforded a second term, it would be the end of American democracy,” she writes.

The president’s niece alleges that he meets the criteria of being a narcissist and possibly other disorders, but says a full diagnosis is currently impossible.

“Donald’s pathologies are so complex and his behaviors so often inexplicable that coming up with an accurate and comprehensive diagnosis would require a full battery of psychological and neuropsychological tests that he’ll never sit for,” she writes.

Mary Trump also alleges that Donald Trump, who at the time was attending Fordham University with his sights set on taking on a role second to his father at Trump Management, paid someone to take his SAT exam for him as he was applying to transfer to University of Pennsylvania. Trump, who often mentions that he attended the university’s Wharton business school, was admitted and transferred from Fordham in 1966.

In her description of his political career, Mary Trump says family members did not take her uncle seriously when he ran for the White House, saying she believed he just wanted the “free publicity for his brand” at the start of his 2016 campaign.

According to her account, the president’s sister, retired judge Maryanne Trump Barry, called him a “clown” in a conversation the two women had and expressed strong doubts he would be successful in winning the election. Mary Trump also accuses her uncle of “blatant racism” in his 2015 candidacy announcement speech and writes that she and Maryanne Trump Barry were baffled by the support he received from white evangelical voters. 

………

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Discussion
  •  Consistent #40860

“Mary Trump also alleges that Donald Trump, who at the time was attending Fordham University with his sights set on taking on a role second to his father at Trump Management, paid someone to take his SAT exam for him as he was applying to transfer to University of Pennsylvania.”

Consistent #40863

Consistent #40864

Consistent #40865

Consistent #40866

Consistent #40875

EVERYDAY #40880

Usually, I’m a bit neutral about tell-all books. Most are full of claims and accusations for which the author offers no proof.

But what Mary Trump says in her book seems to confirm what many have said all along, including yours truly. There is something definitely wrong with Trump mentally. and that much of it comes from his dysfunctional family. Sadly, I believe his traits have passed on to his adult children, especially Junior. I only hope that the First Lady will rescue her son, Barron, from that same dysfunction.

Consistent #40881

Consistent #40889

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.