Maryland’s GOP governor slams ‘whitewashing’ of Jan. 6 riot

Source: The Hill | July 23, 2021 | Jordan Williams

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) slammed some in the Republican Party for “whitewashing” the Jan. 6 Capitol breach.

In an interview on “The Takeout Podcast,” CBS News’s Major Garrett asked the governor to weigh in on efforts within the GOP to “sanitize” the attack, which led to multiple deaths and hundreds of arrests.

“We have to get to the bottom of exactly what happened there, and there’s no whitewashing,” Hogan said.

“We need to get all the facts and find out exactly what happened. But there’s no way to just overlook this and say it didn’t happen. The nonsense about ‘these were just peaceful tourists’ is completely absurd. Talk about major disinformation and lies. That’s exactly what that is,” he continued.

……..

Hogan has said that Trump was responsible for inciting the crowd that attacked the Capitol in an effort to prevent the vote certification, and the governor has previously slammed GOP efforts to downplay the riot as “revisionist history.”

He told Garrett that while there needs to be a “fair and objective” investigation into the events of Jan. 6, he doesn’t want either side politicizing the attack.

“I don’t want the Republicans whitewashing what happened, I don’t want the Democrats trying to make political hay. I want to really have a real investigation into what happened,” he said.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.