McCabe ‘shocked’ by Manafort sentence

Source: Politico | March 10, 2019 | Aubree Eliza Weaver

Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe said Sunday morning that he was surprised by the “incredibly lenient” sentence received by former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort.

A federal judge last week sentenced Manafort to 47 months in prison for tax and bank fraud — a punishment clocking in well below the 19½-24½ years that he could have received under sentencing guidelines. District Judge T.S. Ellis repeatedly argued the recommended sentence was over-the-top.

“I think it’s an incredibly lenient sentence in light not just of the offenses he was convicted for but for the additional offenses that he has pled guilty to in D.C. and the offenses he’s acknowledged essentially in the sentencing process in Virginia that he is responsible for,” McCabe told CBS’ Margaret Brennan on “Face the Nation.” “So, like most people, I was shocked by how lenient the sentence was.”

Manafort faces sentencing in Washington this week in a separate illegal lobbying case, having pleaded guilty in this case in September. McCabe anticipates Manafort will be sentenced to more prison time.

“There’s no question he’s going to get additional time from D.C.,” McCabe said. “I don’t think it’s the job of the D.C. courts to rectify a mistake or something that was done in another jurisdiction. I’m sure that Judge [Amy Berman] Jackson will approach her sentence with just keeping our eye on the facts of that case but there’s no doubt he’ll get additional time from that process.”

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #28312

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.