McSally tells supporters to 'fast a meal' and donate to her campaign

Source: The Hill | August 22, 2020 | Morgan Gstalter

Sen. Martha McSally (R-Ariz.) told her supporters to “fast a meal” and donate to her reelection effort during a recent event, a comment that sparked backlash, which her campaign later dismissed as a “joke.”

The Republican senator, who is facing a fierce challenge from Democratic opponent Mark Kelly, made the remarks during an event in northern Arizona, according to an audio recording obtained by outlet Arizona’s Family on Friday.

“We’re doing our part to catch up, you know, to get our message out. But it takes resources,” McSally said. “So, anybody can give, I’m not ashamed to ask, to invest. If you can give $1, $5, if you can fast a meal and give what that would be.”

The remarks stirred backlash among critics online, causing the senator’s name to trend on Twitter on Saturday morning with nearly 30,000 tweets.

Singer-songwriter and writer Holly Figueroa O’Reilly called McSally’s remarks “sick.”

“There are literally people sitting in their cars in food bank lines all night in order to get a small box of food to feed their entire families for one week,” she wrote. “Martha McSally wants you to skip some meals so she can win her Senate seat.”

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #42185

Consistent #42186

EVERYDAY #42190

If I’m going to fast, then donate the cost of a meal I didn’t eat — my donation won’t go to a candidate who, I’m sure, already has some deep pocket donors.

No, my money will go where it’s truly needed — a food bank, someone who lost his/her job and can’t pay the rent, a chronically ill person with staggering medical bills, a church, an animal shelter…There are so many with so many urgent needs. A political candidate does not qualify.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.