Memorial Day crosses for fallen soldiers removed after single complaint

Source: Washington Times | May 24, 2016 | Jessica Chasmar

A Memorial Day display featuring dozens of white crosses to honor fallen soldiers was removed from public property in Georgia after someone complained.

The 79 handmade crosses in Hiram were meant to represent the 79 Paulding County residents who died in America’s wars, officials told Fox News.

Hours after the crosses were posted along Highway 92, an unnamed resident called the office of City Manager Barry Atkinson and asked whether a Christian display was appropriate.

….

The crosses, planned and approved by Hiram Mayor Teresa Philyaw, were taken down Friday.

“It was never about religion — it was just to honor them,” Ms. Philyaw told Fox News Tuesday. “I was devastated when it had to come down.

“At the time, it never, ever crossed my mind about the religious factor in it,” she said. “The cross is a ‘rest in peace’ symbol to me.”

….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #6485

ConservativeGranny #6487

“At the time, it never, ever crossed my mind about the religious factor in it,” she said. “The cross is a ‘rest in peace’ symbol to me.”

Really? I never imagined that there would be some confusion over what the cross represented.

Consistent #6509

EVERYDAY #6516

Bravo! About time people stand up to this perpetually offended minority. Don’t like the crosses? Tough! Don’t look at them. As far as I know, the Constitution does not give anyone the right not to be ofdended.

And the mayor is a putz.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.