Miss USA sparks Twitter debate by saying healthcare is a 'privilege'

Source: The Hill | May 15, 2017 | John Bowden

The newly crowned Miss USA has ignited a firestorm on Twitter with an answer she gave onstage at the pageant.

Kara McCullough, who was Miss District of Columbia, was asked whether she thought healthcare is a right or a privilege for Americans.

“I’m definitely going to say it’s a privilege,” said McCullough, who also works as a scientist at the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. She added that Americans shouldn’t be forced to pay for other people’s healthcare. 

“As a government employee, I’m granted healthcare. And I see firsthand that for one, to have healthcare, you need to have jobs, so therefore we need to continue to cultivate this environment so that we’re given the opportunities to have healthcare as well as jobs for all Americans worldwide,” McCullough said.

Her answer quickly stoked controversy on Twitter, with some users saying they couldn’t support McCullough due to her views.

……

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #15804

Consistent #15805

What do you consider feminism to be, and do you consider yourself a feminist?

MCCULLOUGH: So, as a woman scientist in the government, I’ve liked to lately transpose the word feminism to equalism. I don’t really want to consider myself… I try not to consider myself like this like die hard, you know, like, “oh i don’t really care about men…” But one thing I’m going to say is, though, women we are just as equal to men when it comes opportunity in the workplace. And I say firsthand, I have witnessed the impact that women have in leadership in the medical sciences as well as just in the office environment. So as Miss USA I would hope to promote that type of leadership responsibility globally to so many women worldwide.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.