Mississippi's GOP governor: 'Herd immunity is not anything like a realistic solution'

Source: The Hill | July 14, 2020 | Zack Budryk

Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves (R) threw cold water on the notion of defeating the coronavirus pandemic with “herd immunity,” saying Monday that states’ health systems would be overwhelmed long before reaching that point.

Reeves said in a Twitter thread that in Mississippi alone, the hospital system has “started to become stressed to the point of pain” at 36,680 confirmed cases and conservatively estimated that herd immunity would require 40 percent of the population to become infected, which he said would require more than 3,000 new cases daily for the next year.

“We would need to TRIPLE our worst day—every day—for a year,” Reeves tweeted. “I’m not one of these guys that immediately dismisses any idea that challenges the expert status quo talking points. I’m pretty skeptical by nature. That’s healthy. But herd immunity is not anything like a realistic solution in the short or mid-term. I wish it was.”

Reeves’s tweets come shortly after the publication of research suggesting antibody immunity after recovering from the coronavirus may not be permanent.

………

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #41088

Consistent #41089

Consistent #41090

How about the number of people who will die to achieve herd immunity?

Moreover, we may not have ever achieved herd immunity because the immunity lasts only a few months.

The 1918-1919 flu pandemic ended by herd immunity, but, with the cost of 50 million deaths and one third of the world population being infected.

EVERYDAY #41094

This herd immunity concept is being pushed by Trump worshipers and like the Hydroxychloroquine touted by Trump is downright dangerous.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.