MLB moves All-Star Game from Georgia over new voting law

Source: Politico | April 2, 2021 | Ben Leonard

“Major League Baseball fundamentally supports voting rights for all Americans and opposes restrictions to the ballot box,” MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred wrote.

Major League Baseball is moving its All-Star Game out of Atlanta after Georgia enacted new voting restrictions last week, MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred announced in a statement Friday.

“Major League Baseball fundamentally supports voting rights for all Americans and opposes restrictions to the ballot box,” Manfred wrote in the statement. “Over the last week, we have engaged in thoughtful conversations with Clubs, former and current players, the Players Association, and The Players Alliance, among others, to listen to their views. I have decided that the best way to demonstrate our values as a sport is by relocating this year’s All-Star Game and MLB Draft.”

Manfred said that MLB is finalizing a new location for the “Midsummer Classic,” which “will be announced shortly.” The game was scheduled to be played at the home of the Atlanta Braves, Truist Park, in Cobb County.

The Braves said in a statement Friday that the organization is “deeply disappointed” in MLB’s move, saying businesses, employees and fans are “victims” of the change.

“This was neither our decision, nor our recommendation, and we are saddened that fans will not be able to see this event in our city,” the team wrote in the statement. “The Braves organization will continue to stress the importance of equal voting opportunities and we had hoped our city could use this event as a platform to enhance the discussion.”

……..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #48257

Consistent #48258

Consistent #48260

EVERYDAY #48268

And Trumpy Boy said we should boycott baseball and all the companies which have spoken out against the Georgia voter law. Ok. But I’m boycotting Goya, MyPillow and the other entities which shill for Trump. Boycotts can work two ways.

Actually, I don’t buy from Trump supporting companies anyway. I haven’t paid much attention to MLB since I was a kid watching the games with Dad. As for the rest, some I patronize, some I don’t. But I’m not a huge fan of boycotts.

And good luck, Cruz and Lee, with trying to end MLB’s antitrust status. Don’t these guys realize the GOP Trump cult is no longer in the majority in either house of congress?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.