MSNBC’s Chris Matthews quits

Source: Politico | March 2, 2020 | Rishika Dugyala

The longtime host had been under fire for his comments and his behavior.

Chris Matthews, host of MSNBC’s “Hardball,” stepped down Monday night after facing growing criticism over inappropriate comments he made to women and some of his on-air remarks.

He opened his 7 p.m. broadcast seriously: “Let me start with my headline tonight: I’m retiring. This is the last “Hardball” on MSNBC, and obviously this isn’t for a lack of interest in politics.”

Matthews, 74, has hosted the cable news show for more than 20 years. But recently, he has come under fire for a series of statements, such as comparing the campaign of Sen. Bernie Sanders — a Jewish candidate who has lost extended family members in the Holocaust — to the Nazi invasion of France.

Matthews was also criticized for having a condescending tone in an interview with Sen. Elizabeth Warren over 2020 rival Mike Bloomberg’s nondisclosure agreements. And the Hardball host confused his guest Jaime Harrison, an African American candidate for U.S. Senate, with Republican Sen. Tim Scott, a fellow South Carolina pol who is also black.

On Saturday, journalist Laura Bassett published a GQ article of her own encounter with Matthews, detailing inappropriate comments he made about her appearance in the makeup room, before he had her as a guest on the show. Since then, reports resurfaced of Matthews having been reprimanded in 1999, for an incident that led to a legal settlement with an employee.

Matthews said Monday night that it was time for younger generations — who grew up with “better standards” — to take the reins. He said he was proud of the work he’s done and he’s not quite quitting politics: There’s another book on the way.

………

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #36039

EVERYDAY #36043

There is a saying the Democrats eat their own. I guess this applies here. Deviate from the “agenda” and suddenly, you become a pariah.

Matthews is well past retirement age. Maybe it’s time for him to hang it up. Of course, if he really wants to continue working in the field, I’m sure someone will hire him. Or if not, he can come up with his own gig — maybe a blog or a podcast? Whatever. he can do whatever he wants.

Consistent #36052

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.