Nebraska state senator on contracting COVID-19: 'I finally got my wish'

Source: The Hill | November 11, 2020 | Sarah Polus

Nebraska state Sen. Mike Groene has contracted COVID-19 after previously saying he was hoping he would.

“As you know, I finally got my wish and cont[r]acted the COVID-19 virus. As I suspected it would happen,” he wrote in an email to other state lawmakers, as reported by the Lincoln Journal Star.

The Republican senator is a proponent of “herd immunity” and has touted it as a potential solution to the global pandemic. He often doesn’t wear a mask while carrying out his legislative duties but doesn’t go out of his way to try and get infected either, he claims.

“I didn’t do anything different than anybody else,” he said, according to KETV Omaha. “I isolate more than most people do. I was at my legislative work in Lincoln and had contact. And I’m glad I got it and got it over with. I don’t see anything wrong with that.”

He believes he picked up the coronavirus at committee hearings either on Oct. 23 or Oct. 27.

Groene said that his symptoms were mild, “no more than a minor flu,” and included night sweats and a fever of about 100 degrees, the Journal Star reports.

“I’ve been sick a lot of times. This is not different. This is not cancer. My God this hysteria,” Groene, 65, said.

Groene claims he protected himself and others throughout his illness and now can use his antibodies to fight the pandemic.

“I followed the rules. I protected my neighbor. I did it the right way. And I plan on donating blood as soon as I can so I can help others.”

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.