Netanyahu dodges Trump’s invitation to slam Biden on conference call

Source: Politico | October 23, 2020 | Quint Forgey

The Israeli prime minister’s refusal to explicitly criticize the Democratic presidential nominee comes 11 days before the U.S. election.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday passed up an opportunity to knock Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden, seemingly deflating President Donald Trump in the presence of reporters in the Oval Office.

The remarks from Netanyahu came on a phone call with Trump, as the American president announced that Sudan would become the third Middle Eastern state to normalize relations with Israel under an agreement brokered by the White House.

Addressing his foreign counterpart, who was on speakerphone, Trump asked Netanyahu: “Do you think Sleepy Joe could have made this deal, Bibi? Sleepy Joe? I think — do you think he would have made this deal somehow? I don’t think so.”

Netanyahu hesitated before offering a halting answer: “Well, Mr. President, one thing I can tell you is we appreciate the help for peace from anyone in America. And we appreciate what you’ve done enormously.”

The smile on the president’s face faded as he listened to the prime minister’s response. “Yeah,” Trump interjected, gesturing toward a member of the White House press corps to ask a question.

Netanyahu’s refusal to explicitly criticize Biden at Trump’s urging comes 11 days before Election Day in the United States, as virtually all public polling shows the president trailing his Democratic rival nationally and in key swing states.

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #43917

EVERYDAY #43922

PM Netanyahu is no fool. He is not about to be roped into one of Trump’s games. especially since it’s very possible Joe Biden will be the president Netanyahu will be dealing with after January.

ConservativeGranny #43951

Once again Trump shows he has the maturity of a 13 year old. Such undignified behavior by the POTUS. Embarrassing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.