No deal: Trump-Kim summit ends abruptly

Source: Washington Examiner | February 28, 2019 | Melissa Quinn

The White House announced Thursday that no deal between the United States and North Korea was reached in Vietnam as President Trump’s second summit with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un was unexpectedly cut short.

“The two leaders discussed various ways to advance denuclearization and economic driven concepts,” White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement. “No agreement was reached at this time, but their respective teams look forward to meeting in the future.” She described the meetings between Trump and Kim, which took place Wednesday and Thursday in Hanoi, as “very good and constructive.”

Thursday’s working lunch, expected to be the culmination of talks, was canceled shortly before it was to begin, as was the signing ceremony scheduled right after. The president’s press conference slated for just before 4 p.m. local time — 4 a.m. Eastern — was pushed up to 2 p.m.

“At this time, we had some options, and we decided not to do any of the options. We’ll see where that goes,” Trump told reporters in Hanoi. “But it was a very interesting two days. And I think actually it was a very productive two days. But sometimes you have to walk. And this was just one of those times.”

A major sticking point between the United States and North Korea was the easing of sanctions, which Kim wanted lifted in their entirety, Trump said. He could not agree to that.

“They were willing to denuke a large portion of the areas that we wanted,” the president said. “But we couldn’t give up all of the sanctions for that.”

Trump said the sanctions will remain in place and revealed that Kim promised Pyongyang would not resume its missile and nuclear testing.

“I trust him,” the president said. “And I take him at his word. I hope that’s true, but in the meantime, we’ll be talking.” He said that his relationship with Kim is “very strong.”

Trump indicated that he could have signed an agreement with North Korea at the conclusion of the summit, though the media would have been cast it as a “terrible deal.”

“But it just wasn’t appropriate,” he said. “I want to do it right rather than do it fast.”

………

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #28125

Consistent #28130

Consistent #28171

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.