NSC official to testify Trump undermined national security with Ukraine pressure

Source: Politico | October 28, 2019 | Andrew Desiderio and Kyle Cheney

Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman, who oversees Ukraine policy at the White House, is to appear before impeachment investigators Tuesday.

A senior White House official plans to tell House impeachment investigators on Tuesday that he believed President Donald Trump undermined U.S. national security when he urged Ukraine’s president to investigate his political rivals, according to a copy of his opening statement obtained by POLITICO.

“I did not think it was proper to demand that a foreign government investigate a U.S. citizen, and I was worried about the implications for the U.S. government’s support of Ukraine,” Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman, a National Security Council official overseeing Ukraine policy, plans to tell lawmakers, referring to Trump’s efforts to pressure President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukrainian to investigate Joe Biden.

Vindman, who will become the first White House official to testify as part of the impeachment inquiry, also plans to testify that he reported Trump’s July 25 phone call with Zelensky to the NSC’s top lawyer. It was the second time Vindman had raised concerns to the NSC’s counsel about the Trump administration’s posture toward Ukraine.

“I realized that if Ukraine pursued an investigation into the Bidens and Burisma, it would likely be interpreted as a partisan play which would undoubtedly result in Ukraine losing the bipartisan support it has thus far maintained,” Vindman plans to say, referring to the energy company on whose board Biden’s son Hunter sits.

Vindman will become the first official who listened in on Trump’s July 25 phone call with Zelensky to speak to lawmakers.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #33008

Consistent #33009

Consistent #33010

Consistent #33011

Consistent #33012
    Consistent #33014

Consistent #33015

Consistent #33016

EVERYDAY #33017

The Trump cult will trash anyone it thinks is disloyal to their idol. They conveniently forget that the Colonel’s oath compels him to be loyal to this nation and its laws, not to Trump.

Consistent #33036

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.