Nunes: California canceling school year is 'way overkill'

Source: Politico | April 1, 2020 | Quint Forgey

The Republican congressman has previously contradicted the advice of public health experts by suggesting that Americans visit local restaurants with their families.

Rep. Devin Nunes said Tuesday that California’s decision to cancel the remainder of its school year was “way overkill,” again diminishing the threat posed by the coronavirus pandemic in a primetime television appearance.

“I mean, look, the schools were just canceled out here in California, which is, you know, way overkill,” Nunes, a Republican, told Fox News host Laura Ingraham. “I mean, you know, it’s possible kids could’ve went back to school in two weeks to four weeks, but they just canceled the rest of the schools.”

Earlier Tuesday, California State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond had acknowledged in a letter to school district officials that it appeared students “will not be able to return to school campuses” before April, citing the “current safety concerns and needs for ongoing social distancing.”

President Donald Trump on Sunday also announced that his administration would prolong through April 31 its social-distancing guidelines, which encourage Americans to “engage in schooling from home whenever possible” and avoid group gatherings of more than 10 people. The extension of the federal guidance came after Trump last week proposed reopening the U.S. economy and resuming daily life in parts of the country by Easter Sunday, a timeline which he newly characterized over the weekend as “aspirational.”

……..

But Nunes, a fierce congressional ally of the White House, seemingly broke with the president on Tuesday, arguing that Americans needed to return to work within the next couple of weeks in order to safeguard the nation’s financial welfare.

“I will tell you this: If we don’t start to get people back to work in this country over the next week to two weeks, I don’t believe we can wait until, you know, the end of April,” he said. “I just think, I just don’t know of any economy that’s ever survived where you unplug the entire economy and expect things to go back and be normal.”

Nunes also promoted the Food and Drug Administration’s issuance on Sunday of an emergency use authorization for hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine, decades-old malaria drugs which Trump has championed as potential coronavirus treatments. Top health officials have cautioned that the drugs must undergo more thorough testing to determine their efficacy.

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #37834

Consistent #37835

EVERYDAY #37836

“Could’ve went?” Maybe Rep. Nunes should go back to school.

And a note to the author: April ends on the 30th.

I may have missed it, but is California allowing online instruction in lieu of classroom instruction? That’s what’s being done in my home state of Pennsylvania.

I quit drinking about 12 years ago, but then insane pronouncements of Trump and just about everyone else in DC make me want to start again — almost.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.