NYPD makes arrest in assault of elderly Asian American woman

Source: The Hill | March 31, 2021 | Jordan Williams

The New York Police Department (NYPD) on Wednesday said they have arrested a suspect in an assault of a 65-year-old Asian American woman that happened on Monday.

NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea said on Twitter that Brandon Elliot was arrested and charged with the assault.

Elliot was a parolee out on supervised release, Shea said.

The NYPD’s Hate Crimes Unit said in a separate tweet that Elliot was charged with a felony hate crime.

In a statement shared with The Hill, the NYPD said that Elliot, 38, was arrested at 1:10 a.m. on Wednesday. He was charged with two counts of assault as a hate crime, attempted assault as a hate crime, assault and attempted assault.

NBC 4 New York reported that Elliot was convicted of murdering his mother in 2002. He was on lifetime parole after being released from prison in 2019.

……..

Several employees at the apartment building where the incident occurred were suspended for failing to intervene as the attack took place. 

……..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #48220

EVERYDAY #48221

Good. As the saying goes, I hope they throw the book at this guy. He should have still been in prison in the first place.

And those employees who just watched the assault take place should have at least called 911. Seems typical in large cities. Dozens can watch a crime go down, but no one will try to stop it, call 911or even help police identify and apprehend the perp — because they don’t want to get involved.

Consistent #48241

The daughter of the Asian American woman assaulted earlier this week in New York City wrote that an unidentified bystander distracted the assailant by screaming during the attack.

The bystander, who was not seen on the surveillance video, “yelled and screamed to get the assailant’s attention” from across the street as a man attacked 65-year-old Vilma Kari, her daughter Elizabeth Kari wrote on a GoFundMe for her mother.

“To this person, I understand your decision in remaining anonymous during this time,” Elizabeth Kari wrote. “I want to THANK YOU for stepping in and doing the right thing.”

“This gesture of action is what we need in our world right now,” she continued. “I hope one day, my mom and I can thank you personally.”

……..

Consistent #48242

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.