Ocasio-Cortez says marginalized communities 'have no choice but to riot'

Source: The Hill | July 31, 2019 | Rachel Frazin

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) said this week during an appearance on Ebro in the Morning that marginalized communities have “no choice but to riot.”

“Once you have a group that is marginalized….once someone doesn’t have access to clean water, they have no choice but to riot,” Ocasio-Cortez said about a half-hour into the 55-minute interview. 

Her remarks came during a discussion of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, but Ocasio-Cortez clarified that she was talking about marginalized groups more generally. 

“I’m not even talking about Palestinians,” she said. “I’m talking about communities in poverty in the United States, I’m talking about Latin America, I’m talking about all over the world.”

“Social destabilization is what happens when people do not have a plan or feel like there’s no vision for their future,” she said. 

In the discussion, she also pushed back on the notion that criticizing Israeli policy is anti-Semitic or anti-Israel. 

“The same way that me criticizing Trump doesn’t make me anti-American, criticizing the occupation doesn’t make you anti-Israel,” she said. “It doesn’t mean that you are against the existence of a nation. It means that you believe in human rights and it’s about making sure that Palestinian human rights are equal to Israeli human rights.”

…….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.