Pence: ‘Congress has no right to my testimony’ about Jan. 6

Source: The Hill | November 16, 2022 | Zach Schonfeld

Former Vice President Mike Pence said he was closing the door on appearing before the House Jan. 6 committee in a new interview, saying Congress “has no right” to his testimony.

In an interview with CBS “Face the Nation” moderator Margaret Brennan, parts of which were aired on Wednesday, Pence said he was “concerned” about the members all being appointed by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).

“I am closing the door on that,” Pence told Brennan of testifying before the panel. 

“But I must say again, the partisan nature of the January 6 committee has been a disappointment to me,” he added. “It seemed to me in the beginning, there was an opportunity to examine every aspect of what happened on January 6, and to do so more in the spirit of the 9/11 Commission, nonpartisan, nonpolitical, and that was an opportunity lost.”

……..

“I never stood in the way of senior members of my team cooperating with the committee and testifying,” Pence told Brennan. Multiple Pence aides, including his former chief of staff Marc Short and legal counsel Greg Jacob, have testified before the panel.

“But Congress has no right to my testimony,” Pence told CBS. “We have a separation of powers under the Constitution of the United States. And I believe it would establish a terrible precedent for the Congress to summon a vice president of the United States to speak about deliberations that took place at the White House.”

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.