Pence flouts hospital policy, goes maskless in Mayo Clinic visit

Source: Politico | April 28, 2020 | Dan Diamond

Vice president follows Trump’s lead in refusing to wear masks, despite public-health recommendations to do so.

Vice President Mike Pence refused to wear a mask on Tuesday as he toured the Mayo Clinic and met with hospital staff and a patient, rejecting the famed hospital’s policy that all visitors cover their faces to reduce Covid-19 risks.

Pence last week made plans to visit the Rochester, Minn., institution after it announced a coronavirus testing “moonshot” to combat the current outbreak. His decision not to wear a mask — even as he was surrounded by others who followed the policy — was widely condemned on social media, including by public health experts, on Tuesday afternoon.

Pence told reporters after the visit that he believed that he was following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and he asserted that he was not infected by Covid-19.

“As vice president of the United States, I’m tested for the coronavirus on a regular basis, and everyone who is around me is tested for the coronavirus,” Pence said, according to a pool report.

However, the CDC has recommended that all Americans wear cloth face masks in public settings where other social distancing measures may be difficult to maintain. Photos and video of Pence’s visit to Mayo Clinic show him in close conversation with other individuals.

……..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #38527

Consistent #38528

Consistent #38529

ConservativeGranny #38530

If you’ve noticed none of those up there at the Coronavirus press conferences are wearing masks either. I believe Trump has forbidden it because of the optics. Pence should have been told that he is entering a clinic that usually treats very ill people and if he can’t wear a mask, as are the rules for everyone else, he cannot enter the building. It was irresponsible all the way around. Pence ethics are situational. I haven’t seen any sign that he is a God-fearing man who likes to follow the rules. Quite the opposite. You can’t be a moral man and prop up someone like Donald Trump.

Consistent #38536

Consistent #38537

EVERYDAY #38552

It’s the old “these rules are for thee, but not for me.” I’ve noticed on a local level too –the leaders don’t wear masks or taking any of the other recommended or required precautions. The mayor of Pittsburgh made an announcement recently about a lack of social distancing in city parks. Standing with him were two other officials. Not only did none of the three wear masks, but bunched together like that at the podium, where was the social distancing they were complaining about?

We look to our leaders for guidance, to set good examples. I’ve seen none of that from the president on down during this pandemic. I agree — the Clinic should have barred Pence if he refused to wear a mask. Shame on him and shame on everyone else involved.

Consistent #38595

Consistent #38598

EVERYDAY #38610

LOL I guess Pence was sufficiently shamed into wearing a mask today. Good!

If Pence and his boss Trump want to win re-election in November, they have to avoid doing or saying anything that could get them into hot water. Of course, I know Trump can’t avoid controversy; in fact, he actively looks for it. But the VP should know better and I hope he learned his lesson from this incident.

Consistent #38616

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.