Pier 1 plans to end all retail operations, blaming 'impact of COVID-19'

Source: The Hill | May 19, 2020 | Justine Coleman

Pier 1 Imports will end all retail operations, the company announced Tuesday, partially blaming the “impact of COVID-19.”

The company filed for bankruptcy three months ago. 

Pier 1 announced that it filed a motion in Bankruptcy Court asking to end its retail operations “as soon as reasonably possible.” Company leaders pointed to the temporary closures during the pandemic and the inability to find a buyer as a reason for the shutdown.  

“Unfortunately, the challenging retail environment has been significantly compounded by the profound impact of COVID-19, hindering our ability to secure such a buyer and requiring us to wind down,” CEO and CFO Robert Riesbeck said in a release.

The company conducted an analysis in an attempt to find a way to keep operating but decided to liquidate, citing the “combination of a challenging retail environment and the new reality and uncertainty of a post-COVID world.”

The 58-year-old company plans to sell its remaining inventory, its website and its intellectual property. Orders made online will continue to be fulfilled.

………

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #39127

EVERYDAY #39130

Used to have several Pier 1 locations around these parts, but one by one they all disappeared. I have a friend who loved Pier 1, but I wasn’t impressed. Still, I hate to see another retailer go by the wayside. Still it seems Pier 1 was in trouble long before COVID19. It’s just that the virus was the final blow from which the company could not recover.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.