Poll: Most say they won't go to gym, restaurants despite reopening

Source: The Hill | May 22, 2020 | Lauren Vella

A majority of Americans say they won’t go to the gym or restaurants despite states’ new efforts to reopen the economy, a new national poll shows. 

Before the pandemic, 50 percent of respondents said that they attended a gym or fitness center monthly, according to a new AP-NORC poll, but only 24 percent of respondents surveyed said that they would return to exercise at a gym or fitness studio if these activities were allowed in the next few weeks. 

In addition, 52 percent of participants polled said that they dined out at restaurants or bars before the coronavirus hit the United States. Now, 43 percent of respondents said that they would venture out to these businesses again if restrictions were lifted. 

The results reflect the anxiety Americans feel about venturing out into the public while a vaccine that can guarantee immunity does not yet exist. 

According to the poll, 67 percent of participants said that they attended religious services monthly before the coronavirus outbreak. Only 38 percent said that they were likely to attend services after restrictions were lifted. 

………

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #39253

Consistent #39254

I took a look at the actual poll numbers and the Hill author really misunderstood them. While the conclusion is similar the real story is even worse.

People’s post shutdown plans depend on what they did before the outbreak. Overall, 38% say they would attend religious services. But among people who attended services at least once a month before the coronavirus outbreak, 67% say they would return to their church, synagogue, or mosque if restrictions were lifted. Fifty-two percent of those who ate out at least once a month before the outbreak say they expect to head to a restaurant or bar.

Still, even among those that regularly engaged in activities that draw a crowd, like sporting events, concerts and movies, or using public transportation, fewer than half plan to return to them in the short term once restrictions are lifted.
    If these activities were allowed in the next few weeks, would you personally:

EVERYDAY #39264

Well, I for one won’t be eating out when restaurants in my state reopen, mainly because the rules they and we diners will have to comply with will make the experience unpleasant. For example, a few rural counties in my state will reopen restaurants starting next Friday, but they will only be allowed to fill up to 50% capacity. Maybe that won’t be a problem in regions where the cows outnumber the people, but popular restaurants in more populated areas are going to be a problem.

There is a local diner/grill I like to patronize. Especially on a Sunday morning, it is usually packed with people lined up outside the door waiting to get in. I can imagine what it’s going to be like when it can only fill half the booths and seats. I’ll be spending more time waiting in line than actually eating. No thank you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.