Poll: Trump support eroding with his base

Source: Politico | August 7, 2017 | Henry C. Jackson

A new poll shows Donald Trump’s support dropping among his strongest supporters as he hits the 200-day mark of his presidency.

In a fresh survey from CNN, conducted by the independent research company SSRS, Trump’s “strong approval” among Republicans has dropped from 73 percent in February, shortly after he took office, to 59 percent now. Overall, 83 percent of Republicans approve of Trump’s performance, with 14 percent disapproving.

Notably, there’s erosion in enthusiasm among important subgroups: Trump’s “strong approval” among whites without a college degree — a group that helped propel him to office — dropped 12 percentage points from February.

The poll mirrors other recent surveys in finding Trump’s overall approval rating underwater. It comes after a month of setbacks and turmoil for the White House — including the failure to pass an Obamacare repeal in the Senate and the replacement of Trump’s chief of staff. CNN and SSRS conducted the survey to mark the 200-day point of Trump’s presidency.

Among all respondents, a little more than a third, 38 percent, approve of Trump’s job performance, with 56 percent disapproving. Those who oppose Trump seem to feel more strongly about it, according to the CNN-SSRS poll: 47 percent who disapprove of him said they felt strongly about it, compared with just 24 percent who said they strongly approved of his performance.

……

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #17979

EVERYDAY #17983

Not sure about this. Most of the Trump supporters I know of are more fervent than ever. They will throw out the lamest excuses ever for his bad behavior, his failure to even make an attempt toward keeping his promises and the general insanity going on in the White House. Or if you ask them directly something like, “doesn’t it bother you that so many people have been fired?” you will get silence. All they know are the talking points fed to them by Trump’s White House. They are incapable of thinking for themselves.

I don’t know what will happen to these supporters when the Trump presidency blows up. Of course, in anticipation of that event, Trump and his propaganda team have already named assorted scapegoats. They speak of going to war with anyone who opposes their god, but I think those remarks are the blather of internet warriors. I doubt too many of them can tear themselves away from their computers long enough to actually go to war.

When it happens, there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth by Trump’s fans. I will have no such consternation. I might be inclined on that day to say, I told you so. But really, why waste the time and energy?

Oh, by the way, the first reaction of Trump fans will be that this poll is from CNN, so it has to be fake news.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.