Posthumous honor for US officer who saved 200 Jewish GIs from the Nazis — and..

Source: Times of Israel | November 30, 2016 | Cathryn J. Prince

‘If you shoot me, you will have to shoot all of us’

Posthumous honor for US officer who saved 200 Jewish GIs from the Nazis — and never told a soul

With a Nazi pistol pointed at his head, Master Sgt. Roddie Edmonds refused to reveal which of his soldiers were Jews. This week he was recognized for his bravery

NEW YORK — In a singular act of humanity and defiance, Master Sgt. Roddie Edmonds stood up to a German commandant and saved 200 American Jewish GIs from transportation to a slave labor camp.

It was 1945 and Edmonds had been a prisoner of war in Stalag IX-A, a German POW camp for less than a month. As the highest-ranking officer there, he was responsible for the camp’s 1,292 American POWs – 200 of whom were Jewish.

Throughout the war, the Wehrmacht either murdered Jewish soldiers captured on the Eastern Front or sent them to extermination camps. Jewish soldiers captured on the Western Front could be sent to Berga, a slave labor camp where survival rates were dismal.

Because of this policy the US military told its Jewish soldiers that if they were captured they should destroy evidence of their faith, such as dog tags, which were stamped with the letter H for Hebrew, or personal prayer books that some soldiers carried.

Edmonds, who died in 1985, never spoke about the story. In fact, had it not been for his granddaughter’s college assignment many decades later, the officer’s story might have remained forever untold. But thanks to the subsequent persistence of Edmonds’ son, Pastor Chris Edmonds, the heroic story surfaced.

On Monday night the Jewish Foundation for the Righteous posthumously honored Edmonds with its “Yehi Or” (Let There Be Light) Award.

To understand why Edmonds never spoke about his courage — not to his wife, his children, nor to his grandchildren — is to understand something about the man himself.

….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #11812

Consistent #11813
    EVERYDAY #11817

A truly remarkable story. I read this story of sacrifice and heroism, then I see on the news all these delicate snowflakes carrying on because their candidate for President didn’t win. Stories like Mr. Edmonds’ may not be repeated in this younger generation. And that saddens and scares me.

slhancock1948 #11824

God bless this man! And, yes, I agree that the fragile snowflakes will not like this story. They cannot understand sacrifice or valor. They cannot understand a man laying down his own life to save others. In their twisted mind, there is nothing outside of themselves and when people cross into their “safe spaces” they don’t know what to do. Well, life is going to be extra tough for them. Wait until they stand before their Maker!

Pray for righteousness to be restored and for the peace of Jerusalem

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.