..Raskin says Greene would ‘be going to jail’ if she organized Capitol riot

Source: The Hill | December 12, 2022 | Brad Dress

Jan. 6 panel member Raskin says Greene would ‘be going to jail’ if she organized Capitol riot

Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.) on Monday said Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) would “be going to jail” if she had organized the riot at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, firing back after Greene said that “we would have won” the attack if it had been planned by her and former White House adviser Stephen Bannon.

“If you and Bannon organized the violent insurrection against our government on 1/6 you’d be going to jail with everyone else convicted of seditious conspiracy and conspiracy to interfere with a federal proceeding,” tweeted Raskin, a member of the House select committee investigating the Capitol attack.

On Saturday, Greene responded to claims that she was somehow involved in the Jan. 6 riot, saying at a gala for the New York Young Republican Club that the Capitol insurrection would have “been armed” if she and Bannon had been behind it.

“And I will tell you something, if Steve Bannon and I had organized that, we would have won,” she said.

The White House condemned the comments as “violent rhetoric” and a “slap in the face” to the law enforcement officers who defended the building and the lawmakers inside. At least four officers died by suicide after the riot, and more than 100 sustained injuries.

On Monday, the Georgia Republican defended her comments, dismissing them as “sarcasm.”

“My comments were making fun of Joe Biden and the Democrats, who have continuously made me a political target since January 6,” she said in a statement.

……..

Raskin, a prominent member on the House panel, on Monday rejected Greene’s argument that she was simply making a joke.

“These are crimes, not stupid laugh lines,” he tweeted.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.