Republican Fred Upton says he'll vote to impeach Trump

Source: The Hill | January 12, 2021 | Aris Folley

Longtime Rep. Fred Upton (R-Mich.) has joined a growing number of House Republicans in saying he plans to vote to impeach President Trump on Wednesday in the wake of deadly riots by a mob of his supporters at the U.S. Capitol last week.

“Today the President characterized his inflammatory rhetoric at last Wednesday’s rally as ‘totally appropriate,’ and he expressed no regrets for last week’s violent insurrection at the U.S. Capitol,” Upton said in a statement Tuesday.

“This sends exactly the wrong signal to those of us who support the very core of our democratic principles and took a solemn oath to the Constitution,” he said. “I would have preferred a bipartisan, formal censure rather than a drawn-out impeachment process. I fear this will now interfere with important legislative business and a new Biden Administration. But it is time to say: Enough is enough.”

Upton went on to say that Congress must hold Trump “to account and send a clear message that our country cannot and will not tolerate any effort by any president to impede the peaceful transfer of power from one President to the next.”

“Thus, I will vote to impeach,” his statement concludes.

……..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.