Retired English teacher corrects letter from Trump and sends it back to White House

Source: The Hill | May 26, 2018 | Josh Delk

A retired high school English teacher says a letter she received from President Trump would have barely earned passing marks, so she corrected the letter and sent it back to the White House.

Yvonne Mason, an Atlanta resident who retired last year after teaching middle and high school students in South Carolina for 17 years, corrected grammatical mistakes in the letter bearing Trump’s signature, including 11 instances of improper capitalization of words like “president” and “state.”

“If it had been written in middle school, I’d give it a C or C-plus,” Mason told South Carolina’s Greenville News. “If it had been written in high school, I’d give it a D.”

She did not attach a letter grade to the letter she sent back to the White House.

Mason acknowledges the letter was likely written by a staffer. She received it after penning a letter requesting that Trump meet individually with the families who lost loved ones in the Feb. 14 high school shooting in Parkland, Fla.

“When you get letters from the highest level of government, you expect them to be at least mechanically correct,” she told the newspaper.

“It’s stylistically appalling,” she added, comparing Trump’s writing to the “exquisite” letters she’s received from South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham’s (R) office.

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #23833

Consistent #23834

Former Mauldin High School English teacher Yvonne Mason corrected a letter she received from President Trump and sent it back to the White House. A photo of the letter, with Mason's comments in purple ink, has become a social media sensation.

EVERYDAY #23841

Trump is not as bright as his supporters like to claim. In fact, I’d say he is functionally illiterate. Mercifully, he has a staff to write his more important speeches and communications. Left to his own devices, he is a blithering idiot and an international embarrassment.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.