Robert Jeffress Needs to Repent or Resign

Source: The Resurgent | October 24, 2016 | Erick Erickson

In July, Robert Jeffress said he supported Trump in the primaries because “I just didn’t think that Ted Cruz was electable.” He said of Donald Trump, “I believed that he was the only one who was electable and could beat Hillary Clinton.” Texas, Ted Cruz and Robert Jeffress’s home state, is now a toss up state. Does Robert Jeffress have such poor judgment that he thinks Cruz would be doing worse in Texas than Clinton? But that’s not really what I’m getting at.

In the same interview in which Jeffress said this, he said he’d vote for Trump over Jesus.

“But as far as his worldview, Trump’s worldview,” he continued, “you know, I was debating an evangelical professor on NPR and this professor said, ‘Pastor, don’t you want a candidate who embodies the teaching of Jesus and would govern this country according to the principles found in the Sermon on the Mount?’ I said, ‘Heck no.’ I would run from that candidate as far as possible, because the Sermon on the Mount was not given as a governing principle for this nation.

“Nowhere is government told to forgive those who wrong it, nowhere is government told to turn the other cheek. Government is to be a strongman to protect its citizens against evildoers. When I’m looking for somebody who’s going to deal with ISIS and exterminate ISIS, I don’t care about that candidate’s tone or vocabulary, I want the meanest, toughest, son of a you-know-what I can find, and I believe that’s biblical.”

….

Robert Jeffress has been leading people astray this entire year. He rallied Christians to Trump in the primaries claiming that only Trump could beat Hillary. He went on NPR and said laughably stupid thinks like he would vote for Trump over Jesus in the election. He defended Planned Parenthood because Donald Trump defended Planned Parenthood.

Who will call for Robert Jeffress to repent? His conduct has been shameful this entire election season and he holds himself out as a man of God. His example this election season harms the witness of the whole church in the United States. Women who have been the victims of sexual abuse who need Jesus will be repealed from Him with a man like Robert Jeffress out there professing to be a pastor.

…..

Robert Jeffress should repent or resign his pulpit and focus on politics instead of Jesus. He’s clearly chosen the former over the latter already. And how many people will be lost because of it unless he turns from his present course?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.