Romney backs opinion, says leaker should be punished

Source: The Hill | May 3, 2022 | Caroline Vakil

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) on Tuesday joined other Republicans in saying that they would support a Supreme Court’s draft ruling — if made final — that would overturn the high court’s 1973 ruling that allows for federal level abortion protections, but urged that whoever leaked the draft should be punished.

“If the leaked draft opinion reflects the final outcome, it is a decision I support. The sanctity of human life is a foundational American principle. Laws regarding abortion would be returned to the people and their elected representatives,” Romney said in a statement. 

“The breach of the Court’s deliberative process, however, is an appalling affront against a critical institution and should be fully investigated and those responsible should be punished,” the former presidential candidate added.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) agreed with Romney on both the possible reversal of Roe v. Wade and that the leak was a “breach of trust” being used to intimidate the high court. 

“If this report is true, this is nothing short of a massive victory for life and will save the lives of millions of innocent babies. But while I continue to wait for the Supreme Court’s ultimate opinion, I am appalled by the shocking breach of trust posed by this leak,” Cruz tweeted.

“This is a blatant attempt to intimidate the Court through public pressure rather than reasoned argument,” he continued. “I hope my fellow former clerks and the entire legal community will join me in denouncing this egregious breach of trust.”

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.