Romney booed during speech to Utah GOP convention

Source: The Hill | May 1, 2021 | Jordan Williams

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) was booed on Saturday at the beginning of his speech at the Utah Republican Party’s organizing convention.

Video of the speech published by The Salt Lake Tribune captured the crowd cheering loudly just as he asks the crowd what they felt about President Biden’s first 100 days in office.

While some attendees are seen standing and applauding, loud boos can also be heard.

The boos became louder after Romney, a frequent critic of former President Trump suggested that he wasn’t a fan of Trump’s “character issues.”

“So, what do you think about President Biden’s first 100 days?” Romney said.

“Now you know me as a person who says what he thinks and I don’t hide the fact that I wasn’t a fan of our last president’s character issues,” Romney said, garnering more boos.

As the boos grew louder, Romney asked, “Aren’t you embarrassed?”

However, Utah GOP chair Derek Brown asked the crowd to show respect for Romney, after which he proceeded to finish his speech.

The incident is another example of the grip that the former president holds on the Republican Party, and the treatment Romney, a moderate member of the GOP, has faced for criticism or rebuke of Trump.

During the convention, the Utah GOP narrowly voted against a resolution to censure Romney, according to a vote tally published by KUTV News reporter Michael Locklear.

According the proposal, the resolution expressed displeasure with Romney’s votes to impeach Trump and for publicly criticizing him.

Romney was also one of seven GOP senators who voted to convict Trump for inciting the deadly riots at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

……..

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.