Ron Johnson questions 'big push' to vaccinate 'everybody'

Source: Politico | April 23, 2021 | Justine Coleman

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) in a Thursday podcast interview cast doubt on the importance of vaccinating the nation for COVID-19, saying he’s getting “highly suspicious” of the “big push to make sure everybody gets the vaccine.”

“The science tells us that vaccines are 95 percent effective, so if you have a vaccine, quite honestly, what do you care if your neighbor has one or not?” Johnson said during an appearance on “The Vicki McKenna Show.” He also asked “what’s the point” of striving to get “everybody” the COVID-19 shot.  

“Why is this big push to make sure everybody gets a vaccine, and it’s to the point where you better impose it, you’re gonna shame people, you’re gonna force them to carry a card to prove that they’ve been vaccinated so they can just be in society,” he added. 

Health experts have promoted vaccinations across the U.S. population in order to reach a point where COVID-19 does not spread as easily in communities, especially to vulnerable people. 

More than 40 percent of the adult population now has had at least one shot, with the nation nearing the 30 percent marker for being fully vaccinated. 

But the nation would need to be well above 70 percent to reach herd immunity, and the pace of daily vaccinations has slowed amid hesitancy to take the vaccine among some populations — particularly conservatives and Republicans. 

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) is among the Republicans who have urged people to get vaccinated, which is seen as the speediest way to completely reopen the country and get back to normal life. 

The remarks from Johnson questioning the need for vaccines could lead to move hesitancy to get vaccinated. 

The liberal super PAC American Bridge 21st Century released a statement condemning Johnson’s remarks, saying he was discouraging his constituents from getting the vaccine. 

“Ron Johnson’s rhetoric is dangerously irresponsible and will prolong the pandemic by discouraging people from getting vaccinated,” spokesperson Zach Hudson said. “More people will get COVID and die due to Ron Johnson’s comments yesterday. He’s a disgrace and Wisconsin can’t get rid of him soon enough.”

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #48537

EVERYDAY #48541

Used to think these people on Capitol Hill were university educated and smarter than I. Somewhere along the line Johnson, like the rest of the Trump cult, lost much of his brain matter the moment he drank the Kool-Aid. Johnson has no understanding of viruses and how they spread.

I care because those who refuse to get the vaccine continue to spread the virus, resulting in overrun hospitals and death. Even with the vaccine we are not 100% protected and with my luck, I would be one of the 5% or so who would become infected. And because I’m old with health issues, the virus could be fatal.

I read that Johnson is 66. He may be in good health, but because of his age, he should be caring about contracting the virus too. Guess he doesn’t have any brain cells left.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.