Rove: Chances of conviction rise if Giuliani represents Trump in Senate impeachment trial

Source: The Hill | January 17, 2021 | Zack Budryk

Republican strategist Karl Rove suggested on Sunday that President Trump is at higher risk of the Senate voting to convict him in his second impeachment trial if his personal attorney Rudy Giuliani spearheads his defense.

Rove said during a “Fox News Sunday” appearance that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s (R-Ky.) statements on the trial, in which he did not instruct Senate Republicans to vote against conviction, are “a sign that every Republican senator needs to take this seriously.”

“I think it’s all going to boil down to what the president’s defense is,” Rove added.

“Rudy Giuliani charted a very bad course in the morning papers,” Rove said, pointing to comments by the attorney suggesting the president could not have incited the deadly riots at the Capitol earlier this month because his unproven claims of election theft were true. The House last week impeached Trump over his role in the rioting, making him the only president to be impeached twice.

The election fraud argument, Rove noted on Sunday, “has been rejected by over 50 courts,” including some Trump appointees.

A Giuliani defense, he added, “raises the likelihood of more than 17 Republicans voting for conviction.”

Giuliani also told ABC News that he’s working on Trump’s impeachment defense and that the president could not have incited the crowds because they did not immediately march on the Capitol after his speech at a rally.

……..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #46548

Consistent #46551

Consistent #46586

EVERYDAY #46589

May be interesting to find out which lawyer or team of lawyers will be representing Trump at the impeachment. I doubt the best attorneys want him as a client, not only because Trump doesn’t pay his bills, but also, having a seditionist as a client might scare off an attorney’s existing clients. I expect for this impeachment Trump will really be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.