Rubio: Trump impeachment trial is 'stupid'

Source: The Hill | January 24, 2021 | Zack Budryk

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said Sunday that he would vote to dismiss the article of impeachment against former President Trump at the earliest opportunity, calling the upcoming Senate trial detrimental to national unity.

“I think the trial is stupid,” Rubio said on “Fox News Sunday.” “We already have a flaming fire in this country,” he added, saying the trial would be “a bunch of gasoline.”

“The first chance I get to vote to end this trial I’ll do it,” the Florida senator told Fox News’s Chris Wallace.

Rubio went on to say that then-President Ford’s pardon of former President Nixon after his resignation was “in hindsight important” for “moving the country forward” despite widespread consensus that Nixon had committed criminal offenses.

“I think [Trump is] entitled to due process,” Rubio added. “The House doesn’t have much of a record of witnesses because they rammed it through very quickly … I think this is going to be very bad for the country.”

……..

Wallace went on to ask Rubio, who is up for reelection in 2022, about rumors that former White House adviser Ivanka Trump is considering a primary challenge for the Senate seat.

“I don’t really get into the parlor games of Washington,” Rubio said.

“I don’t own the Senate seat, it doesn’t belong to me,” he added. “If I want to be back in the U.S Senate, I have to earn that every six years.”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.