Sanders endorses Biden

Source: Politico | April 13, 2020 | Marc Caputo

Their staffs have in recent days met to discuss establishing task forces to bridge gaps between party factions.

Bernie Sanders endorsed Joe Biden on Monday during a surprise appearance on the former vice president’s livecast.

Sanders, who formally suspended his campaign last week, said he needed everyone — not just his supporters — to back Biden and make sure that President Trump becomes a one-term president.

“Today, I am asking all Americans — I’m asking every Democrat; I’m asking every independent; I’m asking a lot of Republicans — to come together in this campaign to support your candidacy, which I endorse, to make certain that we defeat somebody who I believe is the most dangerous president in the modern history of this country,” Sanders told Biden.

“I will do all that I can to see that that happens, Joe,” Sanders pledged, after calling President Trump a racist, a sexist, a xenophobe and a religious bigot who botched the nation’s initial response to the coronavirus pandemic.

“I want to thank you for that. It’s big deal,” Biden said. “Your endorsement means a great deal, a great deal to me.”

Sanders’ endorsement was no mere formality.

Though the Vermont senator formally suspended his campaign last week, Sanders did not say he endorsed Biden, nor did he call on his dedicated followers to vote for his former opponent. Sanders also pledged to hang on to his delegates, which caused some Democrats to fear the primary could wind up repeating the mistakes of 2016, when acrimony marked the relationship between Sanders and Hillary Clinton in 2016. Many Democrats believe that bitter divide played a role in her loss to Trump in November.

………

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.